“We have a winner!” — from the Design Chair:
My heartfelt thanks to each of the designers for putting in the thought, time, and effort to submit some very creative and unique options for our 2018 graduation coin. We had so many choices. Great effort!
And for those of you who voted, thank you for taking the time to participate. I hope you found the design and voting process both transparent and fair, and agree that it resulted in a great option for our cadets.
The winning designer(s) wish to remain anonymous, so we’ll respect that.
The board agreed earlier that we wouldn’t publish the specific voting results (as a few designs received a single vote). And in the end, side #2A had a 25% margin and side #2B had an 18% margin.
We did receive a few design tweaks suggestions, which have been passed along to the designer for consideration. Thank you for those comments.
I’ve already met with the vendor to begin the production process.
Again, thank you all for stepping up and actively supporting this effort!
Graduation Coin Plan
- We will again use “Coins For Anything” (Fredericksburg, VA). We’ve used them for two previous coins; they’re very competitive price-wise; and they’re close enough geographically that I’ve been able to visit their offices and develop a good relationship with their staff.
- Per the Board’s agreement, our goal is to have the coins produced + delivered before the Christmas 2017. That way, we’ll have plenty of time to adjust the schedule, as needed.
|Feb 19||Receive general guidance from President and Board||Set Dec 31 target date to have finished coins in Colorado|
|Mid-March||Graduation coin plan approved by Board||Approved “Coins For Anything”
Approved process and schedule
Preliminary quote of $3.45/ea for a quantity of 1,100 coins
|End of March||Communicate process and schedule to parents||Posted at https://usafa2018spiritmission.com/graduation|
|April 1-30||Coin design period|
|April 30||Coin designs due and finalize order quantity|
|May 1-14||Vote on winning design||One vote per household!|
|May 15||Announce winning design
Deliver final design artwork to vendor
|They can complete final artwork at no charge|
|May 30||Receive final quote and production schedule from vendor|
|May 30||$250 down payment due||Down payment will secure our place in the production schedule (and produce the die mold)|
|June||Produce coins||Depends on production schedule|
|July||Coins shipped to vendor for quality check|
|Aug||Volunteers double check coin quality||(Photograph and) Ship any defective coins back to vendor for replacement|
|Sept||Reproduce any defective coins|
|Oct||Final coins shipped to Colorado|
|Nov-Dec||Coins prepped and packed for distribution||Via volunteers in Colorado|
|May||Coins distributed during Grad Week|
For the coin, in general:
- all lettering will be slightly raised
- certain elements may be raised even more (for greater visual effect)
- all painted areas are slightly recessed, with a fine raised border (to hold the paint)
The design process for you:
- Consider submitting a design….the more designs the better!
- You don’t need to be a graphic artist! Certainly, the more “finished” the artwork, the better, BUT the vendor has professional graphic artists who can take your basic design and turn it into slick, finished art. Don’t be deterred.
- Be creative….have fun with it.
- Please submit your artwork to me at email@example.com, no later than midnight on Sunday, April 30, 2017!
The voting process:
- Once we receive your designs, we’ll post them at https://usafa2018spiritmission.com/graduation for the first two weeks in May for you to review and consider.
- You can then cast your electronic vote online no later than midnight on Sunday, May 14, 2017. Voting details will follow separately. One vote per household, please!
- Once the votes are tallied, we’ll declare a winner! (Let me know if you’d rather not have your name announced as the winning designer.)
- I’ll then work with the vendor to develop the final artwork….and we’ll start production.
I look forward to see your great designs!